Sat 21st Sept results round up

Published by on

It was one of the most successful first days of a league season for some years for the club as 9 or the 14 league sides got their campaigns under way.

There were some cracking results from top to bottom – pride of place goes to the men’s 1st XI who demolished Blueharts 7-2 and have a lot more in the tank, as well as our 2 Australian-based players to come into the fold in the next few weeks. The men’s 3rd XI  beat Letchworth 5-2 for a great start in Prem B for so many youngsters many of whom were experiencing that level of play for the first time. Amongst some well-worked team goals, and with Letchworth getting increasing frustrated, Grady Wing’s composure in slotting a penalty stroke home was particularly pleasing. The mens 4th won 4-0 at Bourne Deeping 2nd, and should have scored a few more by all accounts, but Neil Lake could be putting together a very good side for this level of hockey. The mens 6th made the never-easy trip to Cambs Nomads and came back happy with a 3-1 win whilst the mens 7th started the day off at the Gate by beating Bourne Deeping 3s 3-2 – an even better result when BDHC admitted after the game that they were disappointed as they have put a side together with the aim of achieving promotion. Latest winning goal of the day was the mens 5th who needed a stroke awarded on the final whistle to squeeze past a spirited Wisbech 3rd (half of whose team are still playing cricket so their 4th XI manfully stepped up) 4-3 – Aaran Dawson taking the plaudits here for not cracking under the pressure as he scored from the spot to seal the victory.  The team had been 0-2 and 2-3 down so it was a terrific comeback. The ladies 2nd XI dominated the whole game against Lincoln 2nd but lacked a killer touch in the D so ended up 0-0 – much to Lincoln’s relief when the final whilst went as they knew they had been outplayed for so long. The ladies 1st suffered a 2-5 reverse at Lincoln who will undoubtedly be pushing for promotion this year so no shame there, and the men’s 2nds struggled with the unfamiliar water-based pitch at Harleston and went down 1-2.

There was a good atmosphere around the clubhouse all day – thanks to everyone who came down to watch any of the games and to the umpires who made sure the games could go ahead.

If you wish to exercise your right to be forgotten please click here

Privacy Policy